Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Welsh Streets - Voelas


I love the short Voelas Street. Tree-lined with large grassed area at the South Street end that the children must have used for playing when the houses were occupied. That red end-terrace looks so appealing in the sunshine (I know that my romantic view doesn't reflect the conditions in these properties). I was told by a local that when the houses are demolished (possibly this month) the trees will be kept in all these streets. We'll see what happens. Whilst looking for shots in the morning sun, these two community policemen came past and were happy to be photographed before stopping for a short chat.


Voelas Street from the other end (High Park Street)


For the last time, Voelas Street comes alive. It's a street party (for the Royal Wedding on 29th April). There was a barbecue and a disco. A community policeman asked me if I had permission to take photographs (he knew that I was a stranger in this area). I explained that party organiser Adam (who owns the corner newsagents / general store) had invited me to attend and that I was keen to record the street with people - something that won't be seen again.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2007/jeffwall/

    Are you familiar with the work of Jeff Wall? If not have a look at the url above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent portrait - thank you

    ReplyDelete